Wednesday, October 22, 2008

How quickly time flies by....

No pictures today (sorry!), but I felt like blogging. I leave in less than 2 months!! I can't believe how fast time has been going by. This weekend will mark the halfway point of my graded weeks, and yet I don't have Fall Break until the 8th. I'm hoping to go to Switzerland to visit my friend Christian, but I'm having problems with RyanAir. It's very frustrating. Something about a National Identity card....

Anywho, I had my first grammart test this week. I felt good about it going in because I actually studied for two hours; however, my studying was in vain. The first half of the test was a cinch. No problem at all. The second half...I wanted to cry. We had to change verbs into nouns to make headlines for a newspaper, so there was no way I could have possibly studied for it. You either knew the nominalization of the verb or you didn't. I think I made up words. I know I made up "Fermage." Apparently the word is "Fermeture." C'est la vie.

Oral class was most certainly interesting today. If you have been to my FB, then you have noticed that my status is...interesting to say the least. One of the Chinese girls had an expose today, and she did hers on sexual discrimination. That led to a discussion of positive discrimination, which we Americans call "affirmative action." Paul, whom I lovingly call "Panda bear" for a multitude of reasons, is known for making perfectly normal conversations become immediately awkward. When one of the Chinese guys was trying to explain a biological process where you take genes from one fruit and add it to another for a new species, Paul asked if the fruits were getting married. We had a good time with that one. Today, he asked about transexuals, and we had to educate the Chinese on what that word meant. That was fun, too lol. My teacher, Mme Geslot, for some reason mentioned "gateaux secs." I think she was trying to explain how to pronounce "sexuelle" and "sex." Anywho, she wrote "gateaux secs" on the board, which means "dry cakes" in English. She explained that it was sort of a pun or something b/c the little kids, when they say they want "gateaux secs" for breakfast, pronounce the "s" at the end (the "s" is supposed to be silent in case you were wondering). We were all roaring with laughter. It was a good ending to the class. :)

No comments: