Tuesday, October 28, 2008

6 weeks left? What??

Bonjour tous le monde! Comment allez-vous? Je souhaite que vous etes tres bien! Okay, so in English, "Hello everyone! How are y'all? I hope y'all are very well!" This week has been crazy...and it's only Tuesday! I have so much to fill y'all in on!

I finally got to cook this past week at my friend Candice's apartment. I made my lemon chicken soup of which everyone thus far has asked for the recipe :) It makes me very excited!! I altered it a little bit, as I am apt to do, and it turned out very well. It's amazing what food that hasn't been grown with pesticides tastes like lol. It was great being able to cook again and to enjoy sitting at a dining room table with friends as though we were family. Sadly, I did not take pictures of the soup before my friends and I inhaled it. Sorry!

The weekend was pretty boring as a whole. I went to the market on Sunday and got asked out on a date by a Gambian. That was a fun adventure. He asked if we could be friends, so of course I was like, "Oh totally! Bien sur!" when he really meant "Can I take you out to dinner sometime? Or we can eat at your place if you like." At that point I pretended as though all my French knowledge left me and I proceeded to lose him in the market. Terrible, I realize...but I was alone and caught off-guard; what do you expect me to do? One exciting thing that happened this weekend though was that I got to watch my home church online for the first time since being here. That completely made my day as the music was tremendous and the sermon was great to hear. I still haven't found the Baptist church here yet, so I've been having to attend church in my dorm room. OH!!! I completely forgot! I found a Christmas-themed crosstitch book which took up all of my time on Saturday. I'm making a stocking :) 3 bears in Santa costumes singing carols = TOTALLY cute!

Ok so after the guys who read this have proceeded to vomit from the amount of cuteness that I just exploded on y'all, I guess I'll give you a bit of normal not so cutesy news. I finally got snail mail!!! I got a letter from Nick (totally made my day btw) as well as a letter from my grandparents! I didn't realize that my parents had given them my address, so thank you Mom and Dad!! If you're wondering what my address is and you don't have FB, just shoot me an email and I'll be happy to send it your way! Today I got my Grammar test back, and I was totally dreading looking at my grade. It was on a 40 point scale, and I got 25 correct. Now, I know that translates to a 62.5/100, but that was the 2nd highest grade in the class :) The top score was a 37.5 from some Italian lady who's only in this class to work on composition. She's pretty fluent in French. So, I feel much better about myself, especially after one of the guys who tried correcting me on my grammar last week only got 16 out of 40 correct. I also had my first presentation today. I had to present Rousseau's Social Contract which made me feel like I was freaking back in Social World. I actually did really well, though, and got a lot of "tres bien" on my notes. I think I overloaded the poor Asian kids on Rousseau's theories though. Stupid BIC and stupid paper...made me turn into Rousseau lol. However, I feel like my grade in that class just shot up, so everything is going well :)
TOP NEWS!!! Erica and I got interviewed by L'Ouest France, a major newspaper in Normandy. We were asked questions about the election: who we hope to see win, why we want that specific candidate, if America is ready for a Black president, and if we think we'll see riots or an assassination attempt if Obama is elected. We got our pictures taken in front of an American flag (how patriotic). The journalist was laughing because she was impressed and surprised to see two people able to be friends whose political views were so different lol. We also have an interview tomorrow evening with a rival newspaper lol, and I'm going to a presidential debate on Friday night! Apparently some VP of some committee of Obama's is going to be in Caen at the City Hall on Friday and wants some Americans (pro-McCain and pro-Obama) to get into a debate there. I'm uber excited!!

Pictures: 1. Candice and I (She's Australian)
2. Merlin!! Oh wait, that's St. Jacques
3. Pretty stained glass window in the chateau (we went there on a field trip)






No comments: